Tesla – is the future of cars. It’s hard to imagine how many fascinating things are hidden in the history of this unique car brand. We offer you a unique collection of curious facts about Tesla Electric Vehicle – the car having the best price/performance ratio.
1. Many heard of Elon Musk – renowned billionaire and philanthropist, generally considered to be the founder of Tesla Motors. But this is hardly true. Elon Musk is simply a hyped up image of the company and also one of its five major shareholders. The real founder of Tesla Motors is Martin Eberhard – perfectionist dreamer who doesn’t have a knack for anything about the automotive industry.
2. Martin Eberhard and perhaps even his wife are the ones behind “Tesla” name. It is known that the conversation and the decision to name the car Tesla happened during the dinner Martin was having with his wife in a popular Disneyland restaurant “Pirates of the Caribbean”.
3. Tesla Model S is perfect for lazy or ever forgetful drivers. There is no need to start or stop the engine – all you have to do is park your car in a convenient location and it will automatically go into a sleep mode.
4. Tesla Model S is virtually a tank. The car is reinforced with a 6 mm thick armoured shield, which protects the underbody.
5. Tesla Model S boasts perfect memory. It has a special tuning that allows changing vehicle clearance. This is done via self-adjusting air suspension, which at driver’s choice can raise and lower the car. Moreover, once driven through a particular road, the car stores all surface irregularities and next time automatically raises or lowers the suspension on its own, without driver’s involvement.
6. The best engineering minds of the biggest automakers participated in creation of this vehicle of the century. For example, Tesla suspension was designed by a Ford engineer Doug Fields.
7. Batteries used in Tesla car are really heavy and located very low as well, thus, the centre of gravity is shifted similar to Ford GT.
8. Model S Sport edition accelerates to 100 km/h in just four and a half second, which is 1.2 seconds faster than far from being eco-friendly Porsche Panamera. Classic Tesla model accelerates to 100 km/h virtually as fast — in 5.6 seconds, while the car engine rotates at speeds of up to 16,000 revolutions per minute and the drag coefficient is 0.24. Top speed is terrific 209 km/h.
9. What does one expect to see by opening the car hood? Without doubt it’s the engine and radiator. But you won’t find either under the hood of Tesla Motors. Instead, the car simply has two trunks. Moreover, regenerative Tesla brake pads will never need any replacement, they are made for eternity.
10. Well know automotive group Daimler AG owns 10% equity stake in Tesla, which is estimated at $50 million.